The Red Planet


Title: The Red Planet
Genre: Science Fiction
Author: Russ Winterbotham (1904-1971)
Illustrator: Ralph Brillhart (1924-2007)
Publisher: Monarch Books
Year: 1962
Pages: 144
Format: Paperback, Mass Market
Provenance: Unknown
Random Passage: "He came toward me, certain that I was no longer able to defend myself. I rolled away, the pain nearly killing me. Then I wrapped my legs around his and tripped him, in spite of the pain in my groin. He dropped the pipe as he fell."
Goodreads Review: "The biggest load of sexist drivel I have ever read. I expected it a bit in a novel from the 60's, but not to such an extent. It's literally a story of four men fighting to own a woman, who has to marry one of them because its not appropriate for a woman to be alone with a group of men unless one of them is her husband. It's written as reasonable that they would end up assaulting her because it's a natural male urge. Just utter nonsense, don't waste your time on it." - Zak Baldwin, 23.06.2018
Notes: Naturally, the thing that grabbed me about this book was the evocative cover art (and those unlucky green aliens!). A cool gallery of this and other 1960s-'80s Science Fiction book covers from artist Ralph Brillhart was assembled by the blogger Saved From the Paper Drive in 2013.


Comments

Popular Posts