What Can You Do?

Title: what can you do?
Genre: Fiction
Author: James Leigh
Illustrator: Robert K. Abbett (1926-2015)
Publisher: Dell
Year: 1966 (first Dell paperback edition of 1965 novel)
Pages: 224
Format: Paperback, Mass Market
Provenance: Unknown
First Page Description: "Holden Caulfield is out and Phil Fuller is in—and he's the lustiest undergraduate you've ever met. He's Tom Jones and James Dean all wrapped up in one devastatingly cool 17-year-old 'wunderkind'... determined to prove that sex is the answer, to everything."
Opening: "I said to myself, What can you do? She's seventeen and never been."
Random Passage: "Before he could comment, the ladies reappeared, Beauty carrying a large plate of those Italian cookies that look like auto reflectors, and Beast bearing a tray with the espresso machine and five little cups."
Goodreads Review: "Got my hands on a copy of this WAY out-of-print book and it's next in my queue. An older friend of mine (a survivor of the '60s) gifted me with a a copy of WCYD about thirteen years ago, and I remember thoroughly enjoying it then. Anyhoo, I recently read that James Leigh (the author) passed away in California and it made me want have another look at WCYD. Unfortunately I'd lost my old copy over the years but have managed to unearth a mass-market paperback edition via the magic of Amazon. Will share my thoughts after I've reread it." - Andie Nash, June 1, 2013 (the sole review of this book on Goodreads)
Notes: The author's bio at Goodreads: "Educated at Oxford, James Leigh lectured for an American university for many years throughout Europe, before becoming deputy creative director for one London advertising agency and associate director of another. Later he ran his own advertising business, before moving to the Yorkshire Dales where he now writes. His thriller The Ludi Victor won the Crime Writers Association's John Creasey Memorial (New Blood) Award."

Comments

Popular Posts